Height control

This is where you post suggestions for enhancing taskPilot

Moderator: martyn

martyn

Height control

Post by martyn » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:51 am

On a wave day a pilot could climb very high then choose to blast around a short task at high speed without turning. This would somewhat defeat the purpose of setting tasks that can be done on moderate days, and reduce in value the achievements of other pilots.

For a contest-oriented approach a suitable control could be a limit on start height. This would allow a classic final glide to be set up. Start height could be limited to a typical cloud base (say 2,500 feet or 3,000 feet in NI). This wouldn't prevent a wave climb and blast around, but the time taken to climb in wave would then be included in the speed calculation.

For a badge-oriented approach a suitable control could be a maximum height difference, or a requirement to finish at or above start height. Another option would be a time penalty for whenever finish height was below start height - for example, add 1 minute to the flight duration for every 100 feet lower. This means that taking any climb averaging better than 1 knot would improve the point score. Or 1 minute for 200 feet might be more realistic (= 5 mins per 1,000 feet). This approach emphasises the distance achievement but means that final glide down to ground level is not going to be practised as much. On the other hand, pilots might be happy to make a low start and get out on task.

Both approaches could be useful tools.

brian.savage
Site Admin

Re: Height control

Post by brian.savage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm

This has been implemented in the mid January release

martyn

Post by martyn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Brian
I never intended that this would be applied unless the task was completed as declared. In a flight by Mark Wilson on 27 Jan 18 the pilot failed to reach the first turnpoint, so technically he landed out at this point. Nonetheless, the Height Penalty appears to have been applied. I cannot see any logic to this at all. The basis of Height Control was to prevent pilots on short tasks starting at a very high altitude and blasting around. Cheers!

martyn

Post by martyn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Actually, if Height Control was removed from incompleted flights, but speed points remained, then there could be a way to cheat the system. Start from a stratospheric height, blast around the task, but stop 1 km short of the finish, which means a technical landout. If Height Control was not applied to incompleted tasks then the pilot may well gain more speed points than if the task was completed and the penalty applied.

I never expected that speed points would be applied to an incompleted task, as they are not applied in a Gliding NZ contest unless the pilot finishes. Thus, there is a severe penaly for not quite finishing: the pilot gains distance points but no speed points. I assumed this would be the case in taskPilot, but it isn't. Speed points appear to be applied to every task, completed or not.

brian.savage
Site Admin

Post by brian.savage » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi Martyn,
I haven't had a chance to look at this, and what happened to Mark's flight. I hope to get to it over the next few days. I'll bear in mind what you have said.
Cheers
Brian