taskPilot scoring - How does that work?

Guides to using taskPilot

Moderators: martyn, brian.savage

brian.savage
Site Admin

taskPilot scoring - How does that work?

Post by brian.savage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

The mid January update has significantly changed the way scoring is performed in taskPilot.

There are two main changes, to task class which has been removed, and the addition of a height penalty.

Task class has been removed from the system, any pilot class can now fly any task. The league is no longer sorted by pilot task (although this is available on the league page). To balance out the performance of higher and lower skilled pilots flying the same task, lower skilled pilots (as defined by their pilot class) will be awarded more points for flying the same task as a higher skilled pilot.

This change makes the assumption that skilled pilots will normally fly longer tasks than a lower skilled pilot, and means that a single league table can be used rather than having leagues for each class.

Setting the weighting factors for each class is obviously important, and these weighting factors can be changed at any time by the administrator and the scores will be updated.

The 'Scores' menu option displays the scoring parameters set by your club.

You can see the speed and distance points applied are different for each class.

The height penalty is applied by task, that is it can be turned on or off for each task. The height penalty is the number of minutes added to the flight time for every 100ft difference between the start height and the finish height. This is to prevent short tasks being 'final glided' from a high start position.

martyn

Re: taskPilot scoring - How does that work?

Post by martyn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 pm

Calculating the Pilot Weightings
In Wellington I wanted to have a single league, and the score for the day represented the "effort and determination" applied by each pilot. The raw result was therefore modified by two factors: the glider handicap and the Pilot class. Glider handicap is well understood.

For Pilot Class I decided to divide pilots according to their highest FAI distance badge. Once a Pilot achieves, for example, a flight which meets the requirements for the Silver distance they jump up from Bronze class to Silver class, and so on through Gold and Diamond.

I then developed a spreadsheet in which I estimated what a "good flight" would look like for each of these pilot classes, and the speed at which such a task would be flown. Then I applied multipliers to each distance and speed to achieve roughly a 2,000 point score. The spreadsheet is here:

Results from Papawai Task Week in January 2018 indicate that this is close to levelling out all the pilots, with perhaps a slight advantage to those less experienced, which we decided was a good thing. On weaker days the more experienced pilots might not get the weather to show off their superior skills, but then they could be expected to do more flights.